Monday, October 27, 2008

Now here, No then, No there!

The positive impact of daily sitting is so profound that I am wishing that I could do an info-mercial and sell the idea to the world. As I sit in the lap of retirement luxury, having a bit less money (not so important) and much more time (all important) I am able to turn the telescope around and look back at all the years that I let things get in the way of disciplined practice and there were always lots of "things" lined up to do so: work, never ending educational pursuits, family responsibilities, recreation, occasionally less laudable and frequently, more inane distraction. How I would like to offer a magic key to all of the people who continue to toil and struggle in the fray of all this stuff but alas I can offer only the seeds of an info-mercial.


The gist of the message is; Just make and take time to sit, it is indescribably worth it. The TI is teaching me(once again) about the power of making a decision and a commitment. This is easier for me in my current stage of life but distractions abound and this three week period is serving to prove a point. The decision and the commitment put me in a stronger stance in the face of life pressures and I am more able to "get to the doing" of the right things. (Less likely to major in minor things:or as Roshi once said:"less apt to participate in activities that are less likely to lead to enlightenment."

This word of encouragement is meant for those that occupy some of the middle boxes of life. For those that aren't familiar with that frame-work of understanding the life journey; the boxes are: Pre-school; School, Work, Retirement and so on. Each phase and stage has its challenges, opportunities and pressures and the walls between categories are permeable and reversible. We go to school and we work, we work and we go to school. We work and then retire and we un-retire and return to work. The point of this rambleogue is that life is busy and complicated; so Don't just do something; "Sit There." (I wish I knew who said that)


Decide, commit, do!


I could say more but I will not.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Well written, Pete. No more needs to be said...